Zum Inhalt springen

How to achieve rounded edges on panels?

Frajt

Empfohlene Beiträge

Hi everyone,

Since I haven't been able to find a solution despite investing a significant amount of time, I'm reaching out to you in the hope that someone among you has succeeded in what I haven't...

I noticed that some time ago, another user asked about this issue on a different forum but didn't receive an answer. He described the problem quite well there, so I will simply paste his description of the problem:

"I'm wondering how it's possible to round the edges of the panels shown in the screenshot below. The other edges can be rounded perfectly using the 3D Tool profile.

In most other software, there's always a Fillet Tool that solves these problems, but here it seems a bit different, I guess 😛

I'm seeking the simplest possible solution; I only need it for the visual aspect, not for further CNC processing or anything similar.

Any help, please..."

image.thumb.jpeg.a8e5af647209b3f8d0e8980e4f421c40.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2e5047beae6224d1afd3ff4f5d1ef6fd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.94e33de6fdaf0f694dbbf86867a48cb9.jpeg

Hello @Frajt

what Version are you working with?

you should have a Fillet tool in the 3D-Modelling ToolTab.
https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/Shapes2/Filleting solid_edges.htm?rhsearch=Fillet&rhhlterm=filleting fillet filleted

Greetings

...alles Liebe aus Stuttgart.....
MacBook Pro 2,3 8-core (9.te Generation i9) 32 GB / 1 TB SSD / Radeon Pro 5500M mit 8 GB / 16“

MacOS Big Sur 11.6.5

VW 21/22/23 Architektur

Wissen heißt wissen, wo es geschrieben steht.

2115531318_Bildschirmfoto2022-12-01um13_27.thumb.png.c7542b36e9fcb502b400421a69a6b4bd.png

Hi,

If you use the Fillet Tool GSP_nowhere mentioned above

and activate all the corresponding edges, you will have

what you want to achieve.

With SHIFT + Click you can activate multiple edges.

Greetings

Tobi

/  /  /  /  /

VW 2024 Update 6 (Build 765860)

MacBook Pro 16"  |  2023  |  M3 Max  |  128 GB Ram
macOS Sonoma 14.6

Thank you both very much for the idea.

Unfortunately, this idea does not solve the problem in Interiorcad, I know that vectorworks itself has the option of the "filet" tool, which works well when modeling in Vektorworks and the 3D shapes created there, but unfortunately this tool does not work when used on furniture created in Interiorcad, because it changes Cabinet 3D in a solid object, which means that all components such as sides, shelves, doors..., are combined into one solid object, which of course does not have the possibility of using Interiorcad functions.

I am attaching screenshots for easier understanding.

But it's also possible that I have the wrong approach to this method? 🙂

I use Vectorworks 2022 and also Interiorcad 2022.

image.thumb.png.b7833b495014aba3b0245664c9985531.png

image.thumb.png.bc678df458d9a05c498dabaf4e0252b3.png

• Like 1

HI,

I never used interiorcad, so I can't help you here.

You can duplicate your cabinet and convert it to a Solid.

With a Solid, the Fillet-Tool should work.

Greetings

Tobi

/  /  /  /  /

VW 2024 Update 6 (Build 765860)

MacBook Pro 16"  |  2023  |  M3 Max  |  128 GB Ram
macOS Sonoma 14.6

Interiorcad has functions such as opening the door, subsequent smoothing of the textures, proportions of the internal arrangement of the cabinet and much, much more, so it does not make much sense to duplicate it, because then I lose it all.

Thanks for the advice though.

I hope there is someone out there who knows how to do this in Interior cad 🙂

Only for "lesser ugly" (👍😁) presenting my concept?

Sharp edges are death for a render and they spoil the whole feeling of perception of the image, if you want to achieve a photorealistic effect, this is just my humble opinion.

• Like 1
  • Lachen 1

then clone your file and round the corners manually and "eat the frog", that the cabinets wont be cabinets any more in your cloned document ^^

HP Z6 G4  Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-3223 CPU @ 3.50 GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000

VWX IC 2023 SP7-F7 R1  Windows 10 64 GB  64 bit

This is unfortunately too big a frog to eat.

There are a bunch of other problems with this method, to mention just a few:

All the textures that I applied in interiorcad disappear when the cabinet is changed to solid body, which means that I have to add textures to all surfaces again, and with a medium-sized kitchen this is really a lot of work, especially in cases where the wood grain texsture is visible, because then it is also necessary to adjust this in the right direction, and when you have a lot of open shelves, it is again a lot of work with applying textures or is even not possible to remove them, since the texture will run in the same direction on the vertical and horizontal edges (this can be seen in the second screenshot above).

The problem also occurs if the edge bandings are not the same color as the fronts.

Not to mention that many times you think you have already finished the project, but then you have to change some cabinet and then I can go and reapply all the textures again.
If I want to make two renderings, one with open fronts to see the interior of the cabintes and one with closed ones, then the work when applying textures is doubled.

These are just a few examples that such a way of working would bring.

• Like 1

• 2 Wochen später...

the hole edge stuff has to be worked over.

I am missing the order of edging on the machine. There is a databaserecord for this, but it is not working.

I think when they repair my reportet bug for "edge carnival" when u change the grain direction of horizontal 3D parts the edges will changed erratic.

But i think u can use a milling contour for rounding it. But it will makes your pc into a 386, because u got a lot of edges to round and alle the contourmillings using heavy performance. ^^

HP Z6 G4  Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-3223 CPU @ 3.50 GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000

VWX IC 2023 SP7-F7 R1  Windows 10 64 GB  64 bit

I agree, I am surprised that there haven't been more requests from InteriorCAD users regarding improvements in processing and visualization of edges.

Regarding milling contour, I have also tried it in the same way, and I didn't have any performance issues. However, I managed to achieve the same result as the user before me, like this:image.jpeg.cd4ad9840e361628bd6dddb0e4665257.jpeg

But I would like it to be like this.image.jpeg.843cd510db52226cbb5114abccd2cf39.jpeg